Around the holiday season in the La Crosse, Wisconsin area, there are a lot of fire hazards that can appear around your home. Whether cooking a turkey, burning scented candles, stoking the fireplace, or leaving on festive holiday lighting, there are a number of hazards to be conscious of during this time of year.
- Cooking Fire Damage: The most common cause of cooking fires is unattended food. This holiday season, make sure to keep an eye on your green bean casserole or pumpkin pies as they bake, and, just in case, be keep a fire extinguisher nearby. Also, if you’re deep frying the turkey, do it outside!
- Candle Fire Damage: Burning candles can keep your home and mood festive during the holiday season, but they also make fires four times more likely in December than in any other month. When burning a candle, make sure to allow for a foot of space between it and anything else that can start on fire, such as dry Christmas trees or wood.
- Decorative Light Fire Damage: Frayed wires and broken bulbs can cause fires, especially if paired with nails and staples. Try to use clips or hangers when hanging lights outside, and get them off the outside of your home within 90 days, otherwise your home may be more likely to catch fire.
Fire hazards and fire damage are a serious business in the La Crosse, WI area. By learning more about common holiday hazards, and preventing the risk of fire in your home, you can protect yourself and your loved ones throughout the holiday season.