The cold has arrived in Winona, MN! That means it’s time to make sure your home is ready to survive the long winter. In order to make sure you and your family are safe, even in the chilliest temperatures, begin by checking your water pipes.
Winter water damage from burst pipes is fairly common in the United States, but there are ways to prevent and recover from these types of accidents. Let’s take a look!
There are three valuable ways to prevent burst pipes and water damage in your home:
- Faucets: Run your faucets to keep water flowing. This will also alleviate pressure and potential for water damage from burst pipes!
- Cover: Make sure to cover and insulate any outdoor water sources. Rather than risking water expansion or freezing during cold weather, invest in a faucet dome to insulate these outdoor water sources.
- Insulate: Other areas of your home should be insulated as well, including the inside. Make certain that pipes are kept warm during the winter by investing in foam pipe insulators. These will make a huge difference in preventing burst pipes inside your home!
Already experienced water damage from burst pipes? Take a minute to explore a few of your options regarding cleanup:
- Faucets: Keep at least one faucet open. This technique will help thaw cold, frozen pipes and aide in cleanup!
- Heat: Apply heat to frozen pipes with an electric heating pad or hair dryer. Do not expose pipes to open flames, kerosene, or charcoal, as these methods may not be safest for your home.
- Call: A professional cleanup service will know exactly how to help you recover after burst pipe damage!
Still have questions about preventing or recovering from burst pipe damage in Winona, MN? Give the professionals at ServiceMaster Disaster Restoration a call today, and make sure your home remains safe and dry this winter!