Winter is almost upon us here in La Crosse, WI! As you keep warm indoors this season, whether with cozy fireplaces or toasty space heaters, make certain you’re heating safely. Without proper precautions, your home may be at risk for future fire damage.

Rather than simply hoping for the best, take the time now to prepare for the upcoming winter season. Here are just a few ways to ensure you’re keeping both safe and warm:

  • Remove Holiday Trees: It’s tempting to keep a holiday tree or wreath around, especially if you and your family took the time to carefully hang ornaments and drizzle tinsel on it. Trees and holiday wreaths, however, become increasingly flammable as they dry out. Remove your holiday trees and wreaths before they become a fire hazard.
  • Blow Out Candles: Although holiday candles make your home smell inviting throughout the winter, they’re also a fire hazard risk if left unattended. Make certain to blow out candles before you leave the room or the house.
  •  Check Your Smoke Detectors: Make sure your smoke detectors have fresh batteries, and test them monthly to ensure they’re functioning correctly. There should be a smoke detector on every level of your home and outside every bedroom to help alert you and your family in the event of a fire.
  • Avoid Electrical Issues: Electrical issues cause approximately half of the fires in the United States. Check wires for fraying, make sure not to overload outlets, and turn off space heaters when you are out of the room. By following these simple steps your home should stay safe and free from fire damage.

In La Crosse, WI, avoid the risk of fire damage by taking the time to prepare. By following the steps above it’s possible to keep your home and family safe this winter.

If you’ve already experienced fire damage, the folks at ServiceMaster Disaster Restoration Services can provide the efficient and thorough fire damage restoration your home requires. For all your fire damage repair needs, give us a call today!